Priyanka Chopra apologises after The Activist backlash: ‘I’m sorry that my participation disappointed you’

Priyanka Chopra has apologised for her participation in the CBS show The Activist in the wake of controversy and social media backlash. She said she has been “moved” by the criticism. She acknowledged that the show “got it wrong” and is “sorry that my participation in it disappointed many of you”.

Earlier CBS had announced a change in The Activist’s format. It will be changed from a competition show to a one-time documentary.

“I’m happy to know that in this new format, their stories will be the highlight, and I’m proud to collaborate with partners who have their ear to the ground and know when it’s time to hit pause and re-evaluate,” Priyanka said.

The Activist was announced as involving six “inspiring activists” who will team up with three public figures, namely Usher, Priyanka, and Julianne Hough. The announcement was met with shock, ridicule, and in a few cases, outright disbelief. Many accused the makers of “performance activism” and trivialising the very concept of activism by turning it into cheap entertainment.

Priyanka went on to laud the “global community of activists who fight the fight every single day and put their blood, sweat and tears into creating change, but more often than not, they are rarely heard or acknowledged.”

“Their work is so important and they too deserve to be recognized and celebrated. Thank you to each and every one of you for all that you do,” she concluded.

Earlier, Julianne Houghton had also addressed the criticism in a note. “The last few days have been a powerful demonstration of real-time activism. Thank you for using your voices, calling me in, your accountability, and your candor. I am deeply listening with an open heart and mind,” she had written.

Earlier, a joint statement from CBS and co-producer, non-profit Global Citizen read, “The Activist was designed to show a wide audience the passion, long hours, and ingenuity that activists put into changing the world, hopefully inspiring others to do the same. However, it has become apparent the format of the show as announced distracts from the vital work these incredible activists do in their communities every day. The push for global change is not a competition and requires a global effort.”

The organisation had apologised to not only real activists, but also the hosts, who’d been dragged through the mud for associating themselves with the show.

US Capitol rioter ‘QAnon Shaman’ pleads guilty, disappointed Trump didn’t pardon

The US Capitol rioter nicknamed the “QAnon Shaman” is disappointed former President Donald Trump did not pardon him, his defense lawyer said on Friday after the man pleaded guilty to taking part in the Jan. 6 unrest.

Jacob Chansley, of Phoenix, Arizona, was photographed inside the Capitol shirtless, wearing a horned headdress and heavily tattooed. He has been held without bond since his arrest shortly after the riot, and on Friday entered a guilty plea to obstructing an official proceeding.

While in detention, Chansley underwent mental examinations and was diagnosed by prison officials with transient schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression and anxiety.

Nearly 600 people have been arrested over the attack on the Capitol where Congress was meeting to certify Joe Biden’s November victory over Trump. Earlier Trump had given a fiery speech falsely claiming his defeat was the result of fraud.

While the felony charge Chansley pleaded guilty to carries both a maximum 20-year prison term and a fine of up to $250,000, prosecutor Kimberly Paschall indicated the maximum sentence the government was likely to request would be much shorter.

Chansley had been a supporter of the QAnon conspiracy theory that casts Trump as a savior figure and elite Democrats as a cabal of Satanist pedophiles and cannibals.

Although he did not get a pardon from Trump, Chansley’s defense lawyer Albert Watkins said “there will always be a soft spot” for Trump in Chansley’s heart.

At Friday’s plea hearing, Watkins asked Judge Royce Lamberth to allow Chansley to be released from prison pending a sentencing hearing, scheduled for Nov. 17. The judge said he would consider this request.

Watkins noted that prosecutors had acknowledged Chansley was “not a planner or organizer” of the riot. Watkins later told reporters that Chansley had cooperated with Jan. 6 investigations and informed on a group he saw stealing classified materials from a Senate office.